The Naismith Basketball Association is proud to host its 26th annual Naismith 3 on 3 Basketball Tournament on Saturday, August 11th, 2018. This full-day tournament will include both male and female categories from Novice (U10) to adult (18+ and over 35) in teams of 4 players. This beloved community event began in 1992 and has grown steadily in its 20+ years and features many fun basketball themed activities and contests throughout the day. Last year was a record year for our event with over 90 teams registered, with some travelling from as far away as Toronto!
Due to road closures for bridge repairs in Almonte, we will be located at our usual site, the Almonte Community Centre. Courts will be located in the Community Centre parking lot and inside the arena. We will be right beside beautifully revitalized Gemmill Park, which has a new skate park and splash pad for cooling off during the day. There will be a limited number of teams for each category, so register early to avoid disappointment. We will be celebrating the legacy of Dr. James Naismith, inventor of basketball and resident of Almonte, Ontario, as we honour his core values of fairness, excellence inclusion and fun. Looking forward to seeing you in August!
Players are encouraged to register in the same age category that they were registered in during the previous basketball season; so if your player played in Atom (U12) age division during the 2017-18 season, you would register for Atom (U12). This is not an OBA sanctioned event, and the event organizers retain the right to adjust divisions as required.
The tournament is at the Community Centre, located at 182 Bridge Street in Almonte. There is parking available on site at Gemmill Park.
Novice (U10) Divisions play on 8 foot hoops with a modified 3-point line. All other divisions play on 10 foot hoops with regulation 3 point line in effect.
Registration fees are $120 for Novice and Atom divisions and $140 for Bantam, High School and Masters divisions. The Open division is $150. There is a cancellation fee of $20. Novice and Atom divisions are monitored by Naismith Basketball volunteers, while Bantam, High School, Masters and Open divisions are monitored by OVBABO referees.
Tournament schedule and rules are emailed to all team captains and posted on our website by Friday, August 10th. Tournament play begins at 9 am and is finished by 5 pm (earlier for some divisions).
More questions? Email us at email@example.com.
Registration and Teams
- All teams must register with central registration 30 minutes before their first game.
- Teams are required at their courts 5 minutes before game time.
- Three players must start a game - teams can finish a game with less players. Max 4 players per team.
- Captain of winning team must deliver score sheet to registration table.
- This is NOT an Ontario Basketball Association (OBA) sanctioned event. The organizers reserve the right to make decisions that are in the best interests of the tournament, including adjustments to divisions, age categories, etc.
Timing and Scoring
- Normal scoring including the three-point shot. U10, U12 and U14 divisions, games are to 21 points. High School, Men’s and Women divisions, games are to 31 points.
- Games start on the half-hour and finish 25 minutes later or when a team reaches 21 points or 31 points respectively, depending on the division. If a game is completed earlier than the 25 minute maximum, the teams are encouraged to continue to play, for fun, until the 25 minutes is up.
- Games will be signaled to start and finish by the MC of the tournament.
- No extra time will be added to games started late. A default will be recorded 5 minutes after the start time.
- Teams are awarded 2 points per win, 1 point for a tie. After round robin play, in the event of a tie, ties will be determined by calculating total team points scored for and against in round robin play. (We don’t use head to head as a tie breaker determinant, as not all teams play each other in round robin play). If 2 teams remain tied, the tie will be broken in favour of the team that scored the most total points. If teams still remain tied, the tie will be broken by a coin toss.
- Monitors are volunteers who are experienced players or referees. Monitors keep score and track team fouls.
- Defensive players must call their own fouls. Monitors will intervene as necessary if players are not calling their own fouls.
- Any Monitor calls are final - abusive language or repeated questioning of calls will result in disqualification.
- No coaching is allowed from the sideline during the game.
- OVBABO certified referees have been assigned to the High School Divisions, Open Divisions and Masters Divisions. They will keep score and call violations as per these rules.
Fouls and Foul Shots
- Bonus (2 foul shots) occurs on the ninth team foul.
- For fouls in the act of shooting - one shot for a made basket, two shots for a missed basket. Three foul shots for a three-pointer attempt.
- On any foul shot situation, possession is alternated if the last foul shot is made.
- Foul shots are rebounded normally - if defensive team gains possession, the ball must be cleared beyond the 3-point line.
Game Rules and Possession
- A coin toss determines first possession.
- Alternate possession on each basket.
- On any violation or out-of-bounds, play is started by checking the ball at the top of the three-point line.
- Any time the ball is checked to begin play, one pass must be made before a shot is attempted.
- Jump balls go to the defensive team.
- On any change of possession without a violation (e.g. Steal, rebound, air ball, etc.), the ball must be cleared anywhere beyond the three-point line. (No first pass required)
- No dunking allowed in games or in warm-ups.
- Player substitution at any dead ball.
- No stall offenses allowed - failure to advance is a violation.
- Fighting will not be tolerated and will result in immediate disqualification from the tournament.
3 on 3 Waiver
Release of Liability, Waiver of Claims, Assumption of Risks and Indemnity Agreement.
By agreeing to the following conditions, you will waive certain legal rights, including the right to sue. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY.
The UNDERSIGNED expressly acknowledges that sports and similar activities intrinsically involve risk of physical injury greater than those encountered in daily life, and by participating in sports and other activities; participants acknowledge and assume the risk inherent therein. The Naismith Basketball Association accepts no responsibility, and shall not be liable, for any injury, illness, death, damage, loss, accident, expense, delay or other irregularity resulting from a participant’s involvement in the Naismith 3 on 3 Basketball Tournament.
The UNDERSIGNED shall indemnify the Naismith Basketball Association, its officials, volunteers, employees and invitees against and hold the same harmless from any and all claims, actions, suits, proceedings, costs, expenses, damages, and liabilities, including solicitors fees, arising out of, connected with, or resulting from the use of the equipment, facilities, and all associated buildings, grounds, and services supplied by the Naismith Basketball Association pursuant to the terms of the tournament rules. Such indemnities shall survive the termination of the agreement for any reason.
The UNDERSIGNED hereby unconditionally and irrevocably consent, authorize and grant to the Naismith Basketball Association the right to use, reproduce, display, distribute and make derivative use of my own or my child’s voice, image and likeness (in any and all media) recorded while participating in the Naismith 3 on 3 Basketball Tournament for and on behalf of the Naismith Basketball Association and acknowledge that no royalties, fees or other compensation whatsoever will be provided to me in connection thereto.
THE UNDERSIGNED HAS READ AND VOLUNTARILY AGREES TO THE RELEASE AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY and further agrees that no oral representation, statement, or inducement, apart from the foregoing written agreement, have been made.
I certify that I am/my child is in good physical and mental health I assume all risks arising from or in any way related to participating in Naismith 3 on 3 Basketball Tournament
I acknowledge reading this DECLARATION and understand the conditions contained herein and agree to abide by all the terms.